With climate change as a looming threat to the sustainability of our planet, it is up to consumers to support businesses that strive to make a positive impact on our world instead of a negative one. Luckily, it has never been easier to shop locally and buy with purpose. Ohio has many environmentally conscious small businesses and local artists that are making a difference on a local and global scale with their products and business practices. We curated a list of 10 Eco-Friendly Small Businesses in Ohio! You can start supporting these amazing local businesses today. Meet each of these talented local Makers at one of our upcoming Ohio Maker Marts!
Filtering by Category: Culture
Art enlightens us. It speaks to our souls. Artists communicate their culture, identity, thoughts and feelings through their creations. Often works of art mean different things to different people. That is what makes it so beautiful. We are lucky that Ohio has some of the world's best Art Museums! Here is our list of 20 Enlightening Art Museums in Ohio.
20. Taft Museum of Art - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Taft Museum of Art via Facebook
19. Decorative Arts Center of Ohio - Lancaster, Ohio
18. Massillon Museum - Massillon, Ohio
Photo by Massillon Museum via Facebook
17. Springfield Museum of Art - Springfield, Ohio
16. Miami University Art Museum - Oxford, Ohio
15. Wexner Center of the Arts - Columbus, Ohio
14. Zanesville Museum of Art - Zanesville, Ohio
13. Fitton Center For Creative Arts - Hamilton, Ohio
12. Allen Memorial Art Museum - Oberlin, Ohio
11. Canton Museum of Art - Canton, Ohio
Photo by Canton Museum of Art on Facebook
10. The Dayton Art Institute - Dayton, Ohio
9. Columbus Museum of Art - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Columbus Museum of Art via Facebook
8. The Butler Institute of American Art - Youngstown, Ohio
7. Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland via Facebook
6. 21c Museum Hotel - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo of Deborah Berke Partners via Facebook
5. Cincinnati Art Museum - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Cincinnati Art Museum via Facebook
4. Akron Art Museum - Akron, Ohio
Photo by Akron Art Museum via Facebook
3. Cleveland Museum of Art - Cleveland, Ohio
2. Contemporary Arts Center - Cincinnati, Ohio
1. Toledo Museum of Art - Toledo, Ohio
Photo by Toledo Museum of Art via Facebook
Did your favorite Ohio Art Museum make our list? Submit your local Art Museum via the form below.
We love following local bloggers on Instagram. These awesome Ohioans are always exploring cool spaces and delicious restaurants. No matter your style or taste, you can find an Ohio blogger to connect with. We compiled a list of 25 Ohio Bloggers to Follow on Instagram. These are some of the best bloggers in Ohio. Follow them and come along on their Ohio adventures!
25. Hummusapien - @hummusapien - Columbus, Ohio
24. Cle Vegan - @cle_vegan - Cleveland, Ohio
23. The Samantha Show - @samantha_show_ - Cleveland, Ohio
22. My Life From Home - @mylifefromhome - Cincinnati, Ohio
21. Whole Living Lauren - @wholelivinglauren - Columbus, Ohio
20. My Versatile Style - @itsmemeach - Cleveland, Ohio
19. Eating Books - @eatingb00ks - Columbus, Ohio
18. Girl About Columbus - @girlaboutcolumbus - Columbus, Ohio
17. Two Girls One Cbus - @twogirlsonecbus - Columbus, Ohio
16. An Explorer's Heart - @anexplorersheart - Columbus, Ohio
15. DDOTTS - @ddotts_ - Cincinnati, Ohio
14. Kasual Life - @kasuallife - Columbus, Ohio
13. Are You Kitchen Me - @areyoukitchenme - Columbus, Ohio
12. Columbus Foodie - @columbus_foodie - Columbus, Ohio
11. Queen City Foodie - @queencityfoodie - Cincinnati, Ohio
10. Merlot & Chat - @merlotandchat - Dayton, Ohio
9. Eat Play Cbus - @eatplaycbus - Columbus, Ohio
8. That's What She Eats - @thatswhatsheeats - Cleveland, Ohio
7. Vino In The Village - @emilyvdw - Columbus, Ohio
6. Simply Taylor - @simplytaylorblog - Columbus, Ohio
5. Foods of Jane - @foodsofjane - Cleveland, Ohio
4. Our City House - @ourcityhouse - Cincinnati, Ohio
3. Breakfast With Nick - @breakfastwithnick - Columbus, Ohio
2. Out + Outfit - @outandoutfit - Cincinnati, Ohio
1. Natalie Was Here - @nataliefolchi - Columbus, Oho
Did your favorite Ohio bloggers make our list? Tell us your favorites via the form below.
Featured Photo by @nataliefolchi
Ohio has some of the best coffee shops in the world. Last year, we toured Ohio to visit our followers' favorite coffee spots. During our adventure, we found that Ohio has some amazing coffee shops! Here is our list of the 10 Best Coffee Shops in Ohio.
10. Fox in the Snow Cafe - Columbus, Ohio
9. Six Shooter Coffee - Cleveland, Ohio
8. Maddie & Bella Coffee Roasters - Perrysburg, Ohio
7. Sure House Coffee - Wooster, Ohio
6. The Roosevelt Coffeehouse - Columbus, Ohio
5. Paper City Coffee - Chillicothe, Ohio
4. Coffee Emporium - Cincinnati, Ohio
3. Urbana Cafe - Cincinnati, Ohio
2. Rising Star Coffee Roasters Hingetown - Cleveland, Ohio
1. Rustbelt Coffee - Toledo, Ohio
Did your favorite coffeehouse make the cut? Tell us your favorite coffee shops in Ohio via the form below.
Shopping local has so many benefits! When you support local businesses, you make a positive impact on the world around you.
10. Know Your Makers - Shopping local gives you the opportunity to know the people who make your products. Local business owners have more accountability than "Big Box" store owners. If something is wrong with your purchase, you can speak directly with the person in power to fix your problem. No long customer service calls. Since local products are made near you, most can be customized to meet your specific needs. You can take personalization to a whole new level.
9. Strengthen Your Economy - When you support local businesses, you directly boost your local economy. Strong locally owned businesses raise property values. They also put their taxes back into your local economy. Local business owners tend to support other local businesses - so your local purchase starts a cycle of local support! Studies show that 68% of money spent locally stays local compared to less than 50% at chain stores. Strong local businesses inspire more competition and foster innovation. More competition = better products & services + more choices for consumers.
8. Create Jobs - Local businesses hire locals to staff their companies. These jobs tend to have higher wages and better benefits. Local businesses always create local jobs.
7. Support Local Families - When you make a local purchase, you directly support local families. Many families of small business owners struggle to make ends meet each month. Your support literally puts food on their tables and a roof over their heads. Often people vocally support their favorite local businesses without actually financially supporting that business as well. While word of mouth is fantastic, it does not pay the bills. Small local businesses rely on neighbors and community members to keep them alive.
6. Find Better Quality Products - Locally made products are made with love. The artists & makers that create each product, care deeply about the quality of their goods. Local small business owners know that they are going to be held accountable if their products are sub-par.
5. Get Healthy - When local makers create products by hand, they are very careful about which ingredients go into their products. Makers tend to create more eco-friendly products. Some of the world's best natural goods companies are located in Ohio! Food is also healthier when grown locally. It is easy to find out exactly where your local foods come from. Not a fan of pesticides and preservatives? Always shop local!
4. Vote With Your Dollars - "Get Political" - Make sure the businesses and organizations that you are financially supporting with your purchases are aligned with your values. With local businesses, it is easy to find out where their profits go. For example, you can choose to shop at your locally owned grocery store which directly supports your local agricultural industry OR you can choose to shop at Walmart and directly support unethical labor, unfair wages, and the killing of small businesses in America. Let's just say, most local business owners are WOKE AF.
3. Build Community - When you shop local, you build meaningful connections & relationships with business owners in your community. When neighbors take care of neighbors, communities are stronger. Local non-profits receive more support from locally owned businesses. Strong local businesses create a more unique community - which in turn attracts travelers and tourists to explore your town. Communities that support their local businesses thrive.
2. Save The Environment - Choosing local has a direct impact on the environment on a local and global scale. Since local shops are near your home, you can walk, bike, or take public transit to go shopping - which eliminates nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, and other pollution from cars. You can also reduce the transportation impact from traveling goods. To make mass-produced products, there is a long chain of processes which all negatively impact the environment. When you buy from a local Maker, your product makes a much smaller footprint on the environment. Some local Makers strive to make only positive impacts on the environment with their products and their business practices.
1. Buy Way Cooler Stuff - Locally made products are always more unique than mass-produced products. Wear a locally made necklace to work and we guarantee you will experience "where did you get that" moments. And you will feel good while wearing it! Local artists & makers are simply following their true calling. It is their destiny to create. They are the mediums through which amazing ideas are transformed into real life creations. There is a special energy transferred in handmade goods. When you purchase a locally made good, you are also buying the positive vibes instilled from the product's creator.
Featured Local Shop: Fern Shop Cincinnati // Photos by Rikki at Ohio Explored
Shop Local at our Ohio Maker Marts!
Written by: Meach Zavodny of the fashion and lifestyle blog "My Versatile Style"
There's no doubt that wellness has become #trendy. In a quick scroll through Instagram you're almost guaranteed to find a friend's gym selfie or an artsy photo of avocado toast - if not both. And although it can be argued that some people go a little too far with the #fitspo, I personally love the fact that an industry geared towards the enhancement of mind, body and soul is thriving - especially in little, old, unassuming Cleveland.
Maybe this is old news to you, or maybe you had no idea, but The Land is quickly becoming a health buff's dream. From bulletproof coffee to cold pressed cocktails, local entrepreneurs have found innovative ways to put a healthier twist on even the simplest of pleasures. With the betterment of the mind, body and soul at the core of everything they do, these business owners have created a wellness community of sorts in CLE, and it’s really cool to see.
Whether you live in Cleveland or are planning a visit, here are 5 of my favorite wellness-oriented local businesses that are worth a try (or ten!).
Located in Ohio City, just steps away from the West Side Market, TownHall is the mecca of the Cleveland wellness scene - specifically when it comes to food and drink. Their menu was specifically crafted to be 100% NON-GMO, and they're all about #balance! So while they're committed to keeping chemical-rich foods off their menu, flavor is by no means sacrificed. Their menu includes an array of guilty pleasures, but it's also inclusive of those who follow vegan, paleo and/or gluten-free diets. Some of my favorites include their grass-fed burger (topped with organic cheese), crisp zucchini noodle bowl and bone broth (it’s more delicious than it sounds)! The fortitude smoothie is my beverage of choice if I'm visiting for brunch, otherwise I go with the "Make Me a Bicycle, Clown!" cold pressed cocktail.
Rebol is located in Public Square, right in the heart of Downtown Cleveland. It's actually TownHall's little sister, but like all siblings they're unique in their own way. A cafe-style eatery, Rebol has a smaller menu, but it still packs a powerful (and NON-GMO) punch. Everything is simple and clean, and they implement organic products whenever possible. I'm a huge fan of their "Yolked Up" breakfast sandwich as well as their Breakfast Bol. Their bulletproof coffee is fantastic, too, and it prolongs energy without the mental fog or crash.
This one is more oriented to Cleveland locals, but I had to add it here because it's such a cool concept. Through Raw Trainer you can get clean, pre-packaged meals and snacks delivered to you on the weekly. So if you’re too busy to cook clean meals, or you don’t know where to start, they have your back. I especially love their "cookie dough" and "brownie batter" snacks. Their Poke Bowl is great, too!
Cleveland Yoga has two locations - Uptown and Beachwood. They specialize in Power Vinyasa Yoga, offering group classes, private sessions and even beginner courses. They’re prepared to train people of all skill levels, so you by no means have to be a pro! And while yoga is their specialty, they preach wellness in all areas of life. In that, they also offer services like health coaching and massage.
Like yoga, barre is one of those workouts you underestimate until you actually do it. The workouts are a combination of yoga, Pilates and strength training using your own body weight (for the most part). It's said to be great for toning, stretching and achieving an overall lean look. And while the folks at Barre Cleveland are great at their craft, it's actually their community that impresses me most. Everyone seems to know everyone, and if someone unfamiliar walks through the doors they are immediately welcomed by all! Barre Cleveland is exclusively located in Beachwood, right off Chagrin Blvd.
All of these businesses regularly inspire people, both old and young, to live their best lives. I hope that by introducing you to them I've inspired you to do so, too, no matter where you might live. But if you do live in CLE, or even if you plan on visiting soon, be sure to check these spots out. Your mind and body will thank you for it.
Live in CLE? You're in for a treat! In celebration of Small Business Saturday, we're giving away the ultimate wellness package to one lucky winner! The package includes:
$100 gift card to TownHall
$50 gift card to Rebol
One small pack from Raw Trainer with free home delivery
One month of unlimited classes at Cleveland Yoga
One month of unlimited classes at Barre Cleveland
To enter, you must 1. follow each of the accounts linked below on Instagram, and 2. post any of the pictures included in this write up to your own personal Instagram account. In the caption of your post, let us know why you want to win, OR encourage your friends to #shopsmall on Saturday, November 25th. Be sure to tag all of the partners below in your photo so we know you've entered!
The contest period will run from Thursday, November 23, 2017 through midnight ET on Saturday, November 25th. One lucky winner will be contacted via direct message on Instagram the week of November 27th - so please be sure your account is enabled to receive messages if you'd like to win. Good luck!