Shopping local has so many benefits! When you support local businesses, you make a positive impact on the world around you.
10. Know Your Makers - Shopping local gives you the opportunity to know the people who make your products. Local business owners have more accountability than "Big Box" store owners. If something is wrong with your purchase, you can speak directly with the person in power to fix your problem. No long customer service calls. Since local products are made near you, most can be customized to meet your specific needs. You can take personalization to a whole new level.
9. Strengthen Your Economy - When you support local businesses, you directly boost your local economy. Strong locally owned businesses raise property values. They also put their taxes back into your local economy. Local business owners tend to support other local businesses - so your local purchase starts a cycle of local support! Studies show that 68% of money spent locally stays local compared to less than 50% at chain stores. Strong local businesses inspire more competition and foster innovation. More competition = better products & services + more choices for consumers.
8. Create Jobs - Local businesses hire locals to staff their companies. These jobs tend to have higher wages and better benefits. Local businesses always create local jobs.
7. Support Local Families - When you make a local purchase, you directly support local families. Many families of small business owners struggle to make ends meet each month. Your support literally puts food on their tables and a roof over their heads. Often people vocally support their favorite local businesses without actually financially supporting that business as well. While word of mouth is fantastic, it does not pay the bills. Small local businesses rely on neighbors and community members to keep them alive.
6. Find Better Quality Products - Locally made products are made with love. The artists & makers that create each product, care deeply about the quality of their goods. Local small business owners know that they are going to be held accountable if their products are sub-par.
5. Get Healthy - When local makers create products by hand, they are very careful about which ingredients go into their products. Makers tend to create more eco-friendly products. Some of the world's best natural goods companies are located in Ohio! Food is also healthier when grown locally. It is easy to find out exactly where your local foods come from. Not a fan of pesticides and preservatives? Always shop local!
4. Vote With Your Dollars - "Get Political" - Make sure the businesses and organizations that you are financially supporting with your purchases are aligned with your values. With local businesses, it is easy to find out where their profits go. For example, you can choose to shop at your locally owned grocery store which directly supports your local agricultural industry OR you can choose to shop at Walmart and directly support unethical labor, unfair wages, and the killing of small businesses in America. Let's just say, most local business owners are WOKE AF.
3. Build Community - When you shop local, you build meaningful connections & relationships with business owners in your community. When neighbors take care of neighbors, communities are stronger. Local non-profits receive more support from locally owned businesses. Strong local businesses create a more unique community - which in turn attracts travelers and tourists to explore your town. Communities that support their local businesses thrive.
2. Save The Environment - Choosing local has a direct impact on the environment on a local and global scale. Since local shops are near your home, you can walk, bike, or take public transit to go shopping - which eliminates nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, and other pollution from cars. You can also reduce the transportation impact from traveling goods. To make mass-produced products, there is a long chain of processes which all negatively impact the environment. When you buy from a local Maker, your product makes a much smaller footprint on the environment. Some local Makers strive to make only positive impacts on the environment with their products and their business practices.
1. Buy Way Cooler Stuff - Locally made products are always more unique than mass-produced products. Wear a locally made necklace to work and we guarantee you will experience "where did you get that" moments. And you will feel good while wearing it! Local artists & makers are simply following their true calling. It is their destiny to create. They are the mediums through which amazing ideas are transformed into real life creations. There is a special energy transferred in handmade goods. When you purchase a locally made good, you are also buying the positive vibes instilled from the product's creator.
Featured Local Shop: Fern Shop Cincinnati // Photos by Rikki at Ohio Explored