Guest post written by Leah Deppert of By Travel & Error
Autumn is the perfect time to visit Cleveland. While summers are a blast in the Land, CLE really shows off in the fall with it’s color-changing leaves, slightly cooler temperatures and plethora of activities and events for all. Foodie? Outdoor Adventurer? Beer/Wine Connoisseur? Theater Lover? Sports Fanatic? If you answered yes to any of those questions, it’s time to book your fall weekend getaway to Cleveland.
Fall Weekend Getaway to Cleveland
Friday *Time to Paint the Town Red*
- 4:00 PM: Check-in at your lodging. Cleveland has recently had quite a few amazing hotels built in the downtown area.
- Kimpton Schofield Hotel: Location, location, location! Book here.
- Aloft Cleveland Downtown: Artsy flair and close to many popular attractions like the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & the East Bank of the Flats! Book here.
- Cleveland Hostel: Need a budget friendly option? Check out the Cleveland hostel which is outside of downtown but in a great neighborhood called Ohio City. Think lots of cool bars and plenty of locally owned restaurant options.
- For a full list, check out TripAdvisor’s reviews!
- 5:00 PM: Grab a glass of vino or craft beer (pumpkin-flavored preferably) from the Heinen’s Grocery Store 2nd floor rotunda balcony bar. Happy hour in a grocery store? YES! This historic building was previously home to the Cleveland Trust Company and has recently been restored to a grocery store. Check out their events calendar for themed nights like “Bubbles Because-Latin Lovers”. Done and done.
- 6:00 PM: No visit to Cleveland is complete without a stop on East 4th Street. Craving pasta? Eat at Chinato. A bit more adventurous? Check out the innovative pairings at the Greenhouse Tavern. On a budget? Tacos at Barrio it is.
- 7:30 PM: Time to be entertained! Consider going to a concert at the House of Blues, attending a show in Playhouse Square or cheering on the Cleveland Indians during the playoffs.
Saturday *Learn From the Past: A Day of History, Art & Good Italian Food!*
- 11:00 AM: Choose one or two museums to visit. There are so many to choose from, but some of the most popular include the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland Museum of Art, and Cleveland Museum of Natural History.
- 1:00 PM: If you’re lucky enough to visit when the Cleveland Flea is happening, be sure to check out this local favorite! If you’ve recovered from brunch, the food and drink options here will not disappoint.
- 3:00 PM: Looking for a bit of fresh air? Check out one of the many stretches of the Cleveland Metroparks. Edgewater is close to downtown and has great paved trails and views of Lake Erie. Short drive don’t bother you? Check out one of the many apple orchards near Cleveland and pick a bushel while sneaking a few crunchy bites.
- 7:00 PM: After a bit of R&R, head to Little Italy to feast on pizza, pasta, wine, tiramisu and cannolis. Corbo’s Bakery is the perfect after-dinner sweet spot.
Sunday *Explore the Great Outdoors*
11:45 AM: Check out of your hotel and say a “see you soon” to downtown CLE. Grab your wheels and head to the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad train station in Independence where you’ll hop on the 12:50 PM train headed for Peninsula. Enjoy the shades of yellows, reds, oranges and greens outside your window and experience all the fall feels.
- 1:30 PM: Get off the train in Peninsula and rent bikes at Century Cycle to work off all those calories you’ve consumed this weekend. Make a quick stop at Szalay’s Farm & Market to listen to some live music, gawk at the hundreds of pumpkins and (of course) savor some fall treats (apple cider and corn on the cob on a stick, anyone?!).
- 4:30 PM: After more outdoor adventures, return your bike and head back to Independence via the train feeling tired but happy. Vow to return to CLE because you barely scratched the surface. Drive (or fly) home thinking to yourself, “I was skeptical, but Cleveland IS pretty great…” I won’t even say I told you so.
Check out this “All the Fall Things” video that Destination Cleveland recently released and grab your calendar to decide when you are booking your fall weekend getaway to Cleveland!