With climate change as a looming threat to the sustainability of our planet, it is up to consumers to support businesses that strive to make a positive impact on our world instead of a negative one. Luckily, it has never been easier to shop locally and buy with purpose. Ohio has many environmentally conscious small businesses and local artists that are making a difference on a local and global scale with their products and business practices. We curated a list of 10 Eco-Friendly Small Businesses in Ohio! You can start supporting these amazing local businesses today. Meet each of these talented local Makers at one of our upcoming Ohio Maker Marts!
Filtering by Category: Columbus
Juice Bars are certainly trendy and for good reason. They typically focus on serving healthy, locally-sourced juices and meals. Ohio is home to some of the best Juice Bars in the world. We made a list of our favorites! Here are 10 Healthy Juice Bars in Ohio.
10. Off the Vine - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Off The Vine Juice Bar via Facebook
9. Midwest Juicery - Toledo, Ohio (served a several locations)
Photo by Midwest Juicery via Facebook
8. Daily Press Juice - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Daily Press Juice via Facebook
7. Green Farm Juicery - Blue Ash, Ohio
Photo by Green Farm Juicery via Facebook
6. Zest Juice - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Zest Juice via Facebook
5. Rooted Juicery & Kitchen - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Rooted Juicery & Kitchen via rootedjuicery.com
4. Beet Jar Juicebar & Takeaway - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Beet Jar Juicebar & Takeaway via Facebook
3. Native Cold Pressed - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Native Cold Pressed via Facebook
2. Alchemy - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Alchemy in Columbus, Ohio
1. Restore Cold Pressed - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Restore Cold Pressed via restorecoldpressed.com
Did your favorite local Juice Bar make it onto our list? Let us know via the form below.
Featured Photo by Native Cold Pressed via Facebook
We think it is safe to say that Ohio is the new craft beer capital of the US. Want proof? Ohio's 3 largest cities (Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati) are filled to the brim with nationally ranked craft breweries and our small towns represent with their high quality brews. Here is our list of the 40 Best Craft Breweries in Ohio. Make sure to try them all!
40. Kindred Brewing - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Kindred Brewing via Facebook
39. Wild Ohio Brewing Company - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Wild Ohio Brewing Company via Facebook
38. March First Brewing - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by March First Brewing via Facebook
37. BrewDog USA - Canal Winchester, Ohio
Photo by BrewDog USA via Facebook
36. HiHO Brewing Company - Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Photo by HiHO Brewing via Facebook
35. Star City Brewing Company - Miamisburg, Ohio
Photo by Star City Brewing Company
34. Terrestrial Brewing Company - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Terrestrial Brewing Company via Facebook
33. The Brew Kettle - Strongsville, Ohio
Photo by The Brew Kettle via Facebook
32. The Phoenix Brewing Company - Mansfield, Ohio
Photo by The Phoenix Brewing Company via Facebook
31. Weasel Boy Brewing - Zanesville, Ohio
Photo by Weasel Boy Brewing via Facebook
30. Black Cloister Brewing Company - Toledo, Ohio
Photo by Black Cloister Brewing Company via Facebook
29. Mt. Carmel Brewing Company - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Mt. Carmel Brewing Company via Facebook
28. Columbus Brewing Company - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Columbus Brewing Company via Facebook
27. Jackie O's Brewery - Athens, Ohio
Photo by Jackie O's Brewery via Facebook
26. 16 Lots Brewing Company - Mason, Ohio
Photo by 16 Lots Brewing Company via Facebook
25. Lockport Brewery - Bolivar, Ohio
Photo by Lockport Brewery via Facebook
24. Rockmill Brewery - Lancaster, Ohio
Photo by Rockmill Brewery via Instagram
23. Hoppin' Frog Brewery - Akron, Ohio
Photo by Hoppin' Frog Brewery via Facebook
22. Brick And Barrel - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Brick And Barrel via Facebook
21. FigLeaf Brewing Company - Middletown, Ohio
Photo by FigLeaf Brewing Company via Facebook
20. Rivertown Brewery and Barrel House - Monroe, Ohio
Photo by Rivertown Brewery and Barrel House via Facebook
19. The Woodburn Brewery - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by The Woodburn Brewery via Facebook
18. Crooked Handle Brewing Co. - Springboro, Ohio
Photo by Crooked Handle Brewing Co. via Facebook
17. Fat Head’s Brewery & Tap House - Middleburg Heights, Ohio
Photo by Fat Head's Brewery via Facebook
16. Christian Moerlein Brewing - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Christian Moerlein Brewing via Facebook
15. Great Lakes Brewing Company - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Great Lakes Brewing Company via Facebook
14. Nine Giant Brewing - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Nine Giant Brewing via Facebook
13. Lineage Brewing - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Lineage Brewing via Facebook
12. Warped Wing Brewing Company - Dayton, Ohio
Photo by Warped Wing Brewing Company via Facebook
11. Masthead Brewing - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Masthead Brewing via Facebook
10. Listermann Brewing Company - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Listermann Brewing Company via Facebook
9. Land-Grant Brewing Company - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Land-Grant Brewing Company via Facebook
8. Brink Brewing - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Brink Brewing via Facebook
7. Seventh Son Brewing - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Seventh Son via Facebook
6. Platform Beer Co - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Platform Beer Co via Facebook
5. Wolf’s Ridge Brewing - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Wolf’s Ridge Brewing via Facebook
4. Taft's Ale House - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Taft's Ale House via Facebook
3. Rhinegeist Brewery - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Rhinegeist via Facebook
2. Yellow Springs Brewery - Yellow Springs, Ohio
Photo by Yellow Springs Brewery on Facebook
1. Urban Artifact - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Urban Artifact via Facebook
Did your favorite Ohio brewery make it onto our list? Let us know via the form below.
Featured Photo by HiHO Brewing via Facebook
I scream, you scream, we all scream for... you know the rest. ICE CREAM! We have a livelong love for Ohio's locally made ice creams. From super creamy classics to modern spiked flavors, Ohio has an ice cream shop for everyone. We made a list of our favorites. Here is our list of the 20 Best Ice Cream Shops in Ohio.
20. Piccadilly Artisan Creamery - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Piccadilly Artisan Creamery via Facebook
19. Mr G's Barn - Toledo, Ohio
Photo by Mr G's Barn via Facebook
18. Mason’s Creamery - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by @bre_cheezin via Instagram
17. Buzzed Bull Creamery - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Buzzed Bull Creamery via Facebook
16. Dietsch Brothers - Findlay, Ohio
15. Tremont Scoops - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Tremont Scoops via Facebook
14. Mardi Gras Homemade Ice Cream - Columbus, Ohio
13. Cowhaus Creamery - Oberlin, Ohio
Photo by Cowhaus Creamery via Facebook
12. Tom's Ice Cream Bowl - Zanesville, Ohio
Photo by Becca W. via Yelp
11. Hello Honey - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Mimi B. via Yelp
10. Aglamesis Bros - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Aglamesis Brothers on Facebook
9. Pav's Creamery - Akron, Ohio
Photo by Pav's Creamery on Facebook
8. Z's Cream & Bean - Hinckley, Ohio
7. Young's Jersey Dairy - Yellow Springs, Ohio
Photo by Karuna Z. via Yelp
6. Sweet Moses - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Sweet Moses via Yelp
5. Velvet Ice Cream - Utica, Ohio
Photo by Velvet Ice Cream via Facebook
4. Honey Hut Ice Cream - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Honey Hut Ice Cream via Facebook
3. Graeter's Ice Cream - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Graeter's Ice Cream via Facebook
2. Mitchell's Homemade Ice Cream - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Mitchell's Homemade Ice Cream via Facebook
1. Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream - Columbus, Ohio
Photos by Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream via Facebook
Did your favorite local Ice Cream Shop make our list? Submit your favorite via the form below.
Featured photo byJeni's Splendid Ice Cream
We never turn down a good taco. From authentic Mexican cuisine to modern fusion flavors, Ohio has some of the best fresh taco shops around. Have you ever wondered where to find the best tacos in Ohio? Look no further. Here is our list of 20 Tasty Taco Shops in Ohio.
20. Nada - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Nada via eatdrinknada.com
19. Taqueria Tres Hermanos - Dayton, Ohio
Photo by Taqueria Tres Hermanos via Facebook
18. Uncle Tito's Mexican Grill - Akron, Ohio
Photo by Uncle Tito's Mexican Grill via Facebook
17. Camino - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Camino via Facebook
16. Taqueria La Loma - Akron, Ohio
Photo by C D. on Yelp
15. Tapatias Taqueria - Cleveland, Ohio
14. Chiapas Mexican Grill - Dayton, Ohio
13. Barrio - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Barrio via Facebook
12. Guerra's Krazy Taco - Springfield, Ohio
Photo by Guerra's Krazy Taco via Facebook
11. Fresco Mexican Grill & Salsa Bar - Kent, Ohio
Photo by Fresco Mexican Grill & Salsa Bar via Facebook
10. Taqueria Mixteca - Dayton, Ohio
Photo by Nicole D. via Yelp
9. Condado - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Condado via Facebook
8. Cuco's Taqueria - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Cuco's Taqueria via Facebook
7. El Camino - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by El Camino via Facebook
6. La Super Torta - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Niki V. via Yelp
5. Gomez Salsa - Cincinnati, Ohio
4. OH Taco - Sandusky, Ohio
Photo by Oh Taco via Facebook
3. Bakersfield - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Bakersfield via Facebook
2. La Plaza Supermarket - Cleveland, Ohio
1. Mazunte - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Mazunte via Facebook
Did your local taco spot make our list? Send us your favorite Ohio taco places via the form below.
Art enlightens us. It speaks to our souls. Artists communicate their culture, identity, thoughts and feelings through their creations. Often works of art mean different things to different people. That is what makes it so beautiful. We are lucky that Ohio has some of the world's best Art Museums! Here is our list of 20 Enlightening Art Museums in Ohio.
20. Taft Museum of Art - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Taft Museum of Art via Facebook
19. Decorative Arts Center of Ohio - Lancaster, Ohio
18. Massillon Museum - Massillon, Ohio
Photo by Massillon Museum via Facebook
17. Springfield Museum of Art - Springfield, Ohio
16. Miami University Art Museum - Oxford, Ohio
15. Wexner Center of the Arts - Columbus, Ohio
14. Zanesville Museum of Art - Zanesville, Ohio
13. Fitton Center For Creative Arts - Hamilton, Ohio
12. Allen Memorial Art Museum - Oberlin, Ohio
11. Canton Museum of Art - Canton, Ohio
Photo by Canton Museum of Art on Facebook
10. The Dayton Art Institute - Dayton, Ohio
9. Columbus Museum of Art - Columbus, Ohio
Photo by Columbus Museum of Art via Facebook
8. The Butler Institute of American Art - Youngstown, Ohio
7. Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland - Cleveland, Ohio
Photo by Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland via Facebook
6. 21c Museum Hotel - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo of Deborah Berke Partners via Facebook
5. Cincinnati Art Museum - Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo by Cincinnati Art Museum via Facebook
4. Akron Art Museum - Akron, Ohio
Photo by Akron Art Museum via Facebook
3. Cleveland Museum of Art - Cleveland, Ohio
2. Contemporary Arts Center - Cincinnati, Ohio
1. Toledo Museum of Art - Toledo, Ohio
Photo by Toledo Museum of Art via Facebook
Did your favorite Ohio Art Museum make our list? Submit your local Art Museum via the form below.
We are always on the hunt for the perfect pizza. Luckily, Ohio has some of the best pizza shops in the world so we do not ever have to travel far. We asked our Instagram followers to tell us their favorite pizza places which helped us create our list. Get ready to take a pizza road trip around Ohio to try these 20 Sizzling Pizza Places in Ohio.
20. Mohio - Delaware, Ohio
19. Brimfield Bread Oven - Kent, Ohio
18. Dewey's Pizza - Cincinnati, Ohio
17. Wheat Penny - Dayton, Ohio
16. Two Cities Pizza - Mason, Ohio
15. 3 Palms Pizzeria - Hudson, Ohio
14. Park Street Pizza - Sugarcreek, Ohio
13. Cocca's Pizza Boardman - Youngstown, Ohio
12. Goodfellas Pizzeria - Cincinnati, Ohio
11. 5th Street Pub - Perrysburg, Ohio
10. Angelo's - Lakewood, Ohio
9. Forno Kitchen + Bar
8. Citizen Pie - Cleveland, Ohio
7. Paulie Gee's Short North - Columbus, Ohio
6. Mia Bella Restaurant - Cleveland, Ohio
5. Crust - Cleveland, Ohio
4. Harlow’s - Lakewood, Ohio
3. Old Scratch Pizza - Dayton, Ohio
2. A Tavola Bar + Trattoria - Cincinnati, Ohio
1. Harvest Pizzeria - Columbus & Cincinnati, Ohio
Did your favorite local pizza shop make our list? Tell us your favorite Ohio pizza places via the form below.
Featured Photo by Harlow's Pizza
We love following local bloggers on Instagram. These awesome Ohioans are always exploring cool spaces and delicious restaurants. No matter your style or taste, you can find an Ohio blogger to connect with. We compiled a list of 25 Ohio Bloggers to Follow on Instagram. These are some of the best bloggers in Ohio. Follow them and come along on their Ohio adventures!
25. Hummusapien - @hummusapien - Columbus, Ohio
24. Cle Vegan - @cle_vegan - Cleveland, Ohio
23. The Samantha Show - @samantha_show_ - Cleveland, Ohio
22. My Life From Home - @mylifefromhome - Cincinnati, Ohio
21. Whole Living Lauren - @wholelivinglauren - Columbus, Ohio
20. My Versatile Style - @itsmemeach - Cleveland, Ohio
19. Eating Books - @eatingb00ks - Columbus, Ohio
18. Girl About Columbus - @girlaboutcolumbus - Columbus, Ohio
17. Two Girls One Cbus - @twogirlsonecbus - Columbus, Ohio
16. An Explorer's Heart - @anexplorersheart - Columbus, Ohio
15. DDOTTS - @ddotts_ - Cincinnati, Ohio
14. Kasual Life - @kasuallife - Columbus, Ohio
13. Are You Kitchen Me - @areyoukitchenme - Columbus, Ohio
12. Columbus Foodie - @columbus_foodie - Columbus, Ohio
11. Queen City Foodie - @queencityfoodie - Cincinnati, Ohio
10. Merlot & Chat - @merlotandchat - Dayton, Ohio
9. Eat Play Cbus - @eatplaycbus - Columbus, Ohio
8. That's What She Eats - @thatswhatsheeats - Cleveland, Ohio
7. Vino In The Village - @emilyvdw - Columbus, Ohio
6. Simply Taylor - @simplytaylorblog - Columbus, Ohio
5. Foods of Jane - @foodsofjane - Cleveland, Ohio
4. Our City House - @ourcityhouse - Cincinnati, Ohio
3. Breakfast With Nick - @breakfastwithnick - Columbus, Ohio
2. Out + Outfit - @outandoutfit - Cincinnati, Ohio
1. Natalie Was Here - @nataliefolchi - Columbus, Oho
Did your favorite Ohio bloggers make our list? Tell us your favorites via the form below.
Featured Photo by @nataliefolchi
Ohio has some of the best coffee shops in the world. Last year, we toured Ohio to visit our followers' favorite coffee spots. During our adventure, we found that Ohio has some amazing coffee shops! Here is our list of the 10 Best Coffee Shops in Ohio.
10. Fox in the Snow Cafe - Columbus, Ohio
9. Six Shooter Coffee - Cleveland, Ohio
8. Maddie & Bella Coffee Roasters - Perrysburg, Ohio
7. Sure House Coffee - Wooster, Ohio
6. The Roosevelt Coffeehouse - Columbus, Ohio
5. Paper City Coffee - Chillicothe, Ohio
4. Coffee Emporium - Cincinnati, Ohio
3. Urbana Cafe - Cincinnati, Ohio
2. Rising Star Coffee Roasters Hingetown - Cleveland, Ohio
1. Rustbelt Coffee - Toledo, Ohio
Did your favorite coffeehouse make the cut? Tell us your favorite coffee shops in Ohio via the form below.
Wow! This boutique hotel located in Downtown Columbus, Ohio just moved up to the top of our "Must Visit" list. Hotel LeVeque impressed us from the time we arrived. They literally dazzled us with their celestial theme which appered in details from the beautiful lobby check-in desk to the planetarium projected on the ceiling of our room. Their star-gazing theme represents the connection between LeVeque tower and the stars above. Our wedding theme was celestial so we definitely are partial to that theme.
After participating in the Made Local Marketplace all day, we were exhausted. We we very happy to find that our room was a relaxing getaway. Our bed was very comfortable. We ordered room service from KEEP, a french restaurant located in the lobby, and stayed in for the night. Everything that we needed was located within our hotel and for that we were very grateful.
We loved that Hotel LeVeque supplied locally made shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and soaps. Cliff Original makes grooming products for hair care, skin care and beard care. All of their products are made in Ohio! They are paraben-free, sulfate-free chemical-free and cruelty-free. And they smelled AMAZING!
The stunning lobby at Hotel LeVeque called for us to explore. It included a Starbucks (which continued the celestial theme) and a delicious french restaurant & liquor bar called The Keep.
Every time we have driven through Columbus, we admired the beautiful LeVeque Tower. It's unique and beautiful shape draws the eye. Our dreams came true when we actually got to stay inside this historical Ohio building. According to their website, LeVeque Tower has been a beacon of hospitality in downtown Columbus since 1927 – it once even served as an aerial lighthouse for Amelia Earhart. That legacy lives on today in the Hotel LeVeque, a vibrant destination that suffuses the building’s original art deco architecture with glamorous celestial-inspired interior design. This lovely boutqiue hotel is truly on of Ohio's Hidden Gems.
We spent Labor Day weekend exploring The Short North. This bustling area in downtown Columbus has some of Ohio's best shops and restaurants. It is also home to many beautiful murals and art galleries, including Le Méridien Columbus, The Joseph, where the lobby and second floor showcase beautiful art merging a gallery with a hotel. The Short North is a walkable neighborhood that has something for everyone to see and do.
When exploring a new area in Ohio, we like to stay overnight so we can get the full local experience. During our Short North trip we stayed at Le Méridien Columbus, The Joseph! This beautiful boutique hotel is located in the heart of The Short North. It is the perfect place to stay when exploring this area.
After dinner and drinks at Whiskey on High at SOUL on Friday night, we went exploring (we don't mind a little rain). We walked all the way up and down high street while taking in the sights. We shopped and people watched all evening long. And of course we ended the night with our favorite Ohio Made Ice Cream, Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams, which is just a couple blocks down from Le Méridien!
Our room was a perfect place to relax after exploring. We had a lovely view of High Street which seemed to stretch all the way across Columbus. The hotel provided local travel guides and suggestions about more places to explore. The hotel staff were so kind and helpful during our stay. They made us feel right a home. We really enjoyed our short trip to the Short North and we cannot wait to go back!
We asked our Instagram followers about their favorite local pizza places! After reviewing over 600 submissions, we complied the top 100 into this handy list. Over the next few months we will be traveling Ohio to taste the Top 10 pizza places that received the most nominations. Without further adieu, here are your top 100+ Best Pizza Places in Ohio!
Brick Oven Brew Pub
Noce Gourmet Pizza
Beavercreek Pizza Drive
Pies & Pints
Myles Pizza Pub
Crumb & Spigot
Fire and Stone Pizzeria
Five Buroughs Pizza
Bam! Healthy Cuisine
Humble Wine Bar
Gillespie's Map Room
Citizen Pie (Collinwood)
Dante Next Door
Bono (Upper Arlington)
Yellow Brick Pizza
The Red Brick Tap & Grille
Paulie Gee’s (Short North)
Natalie's Coal Fired Pizza
Local Roots (Powell)
Mikey’s Late Night Slice
Rubino’s Pizza (Bexely)
Bexley Pizza Plus
The Flying Pizza
Old Scratch Pizza
Gabby's Place Bar and Restaurant
The Dennison Yard
Bahler Street Pizza
Brimfield Bread Oven
Fat Jack’s Pizza
Simple Fire Pizza
The Original Pizza Place
Perrysburg (Toledo Area)
5th Street Pub
BoneyFiddle Pie Factory
The Hickory Inn Pizza
Park Street Pizza
J&G Pizza Palace
Home Slice Pizza
Tremont (Cleveland Area)
Village Cornerstone Restaurant
Pizza by Robert
Russo's Wood Fired Pizza
Did your favorite Ohio pizza place make our list? If not, let us know on Instagram!
Our favorite Ohio Foodie Instagram is @Nom_Life! They know of the best places to find the most delicious food all over Ohio! Their Insta page features thousands of top notch Ohio noms. We were fortunate enough to interview Ewa & Jeromy about their Life of Noms!
Question 1: What are your favorite restaurnts in Ohio's biggest cities - Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati?
If we're in Cleveland, we're getting dim sum whether we want to or not (we always want to). It's a family tradition to gather at least 10 relatives and set up base at either Bo Loong, Li Wah or Emperor's Palace on a Sunday afternoon. When ordering off the rolling carts, be sure to get: ha gao (shrimp dumplings), sui mai (pork dumplings), sticky rice with meat filling, cheung fun (various meat fillings wrapped in rice noddle), dan ta (egg tart), and cha siu bao (BBQ pork bun). These are some recommendations, but really, you should give everything a try. The great part about dim sum is that it’s all small portions (like Chinese tapas). You'd also be remiss if you didn't order a dish of beef ho fun.
Columbus is an eclectic place for food with a lot of different options. A fun way to spend a weekend night with friends is at Gogi on Bethel Road. If you've ever had Korean BBQ, you know that this the experience is just as much about having fun as it is about the food. We recommend ordering one of their 3 meat combos (or more, depending on how big your group is). When they bring it out, you get to cook the food on a grill, which is built right into the table! You get a bunch of side dishes, called banchan, with each combo, so the variety is there. You can never go wrong with the steamed egg or spicy beef soup either. Next, you’ll want to order copious amounts of soju. Enough to take a group shot every 10 minutes.
After dinner, you should hit up The Voice Karaoke Bar (near OSU campus) to keep the good times rolling.
Our favorite spot in Cincy is Sotto , no question about it. This Italian restaurant is located right downtown and features one of our favorite dishes ever (more on that later). When you get inside, and go down into the basement for the dining room, you’ll find a very dim light atmosphere. You get the vibe that this is a classy joint. However, you’ll be pleasantly surprised as it is quite lively. The menu itself focuses on simple, rustic Italian fare. However, the spotlight dish is the truffle pasta. The perfect amount of truffle flavor drapes the pristine cooked pasta to create the ultimate umami flavor for your lucky mouth. This was better than some of the truffle dishes we had in Italy, no joke! We’re not sure if this dish is always on the menu, so you’ll want to check beforehand.
Question 2: What is your favorite type of cuisine and where is your favorite local place to eat it?
We both grew up with, and love all kinds of Asian food. For Ewa, Japanese food is a must. Tensuke Market is our favorite anytime spot in Columbus. This spot is a Japanese grocery store/restaurant hybrid. They offer tasty Japanese street meals such as udon, curry rice and yakitori. However, where they really shine is the sushi. They share a fish plug with Akai Hana (the neighboring Japanese restaurant which they also own). The fish is high-quality and affordable — 2 things that go really well together.
For Jeromy, his favorite hangover cure meal is Arirang , a Korean grocery store with a little restaurant in the back (sensing a trend yet?). You’ll get a bunch of banchan with your meal and you can do some grocery shopping after! What makes that even better? That their soups are only $6.99.
Must Try Item
At Tensuke -- Any of the sushi rolls, nigiri or sashimi. You can customize your order at the sushi window, or grab a pre-made pack to go. Another bomb dish is their tonkatsu curry over rice. At Arirang, their top dish is the Yuk Gae Jang (spicy beef and vegetable soup).
Question 3: What is your favorite dish & Where can we find it in Ohio?
You could sneak into Jeromy’s dad’s house and see if he’d make you his famous Chinese style spare ribs. But, if you’re not down for that, our next favorite dish is Shrimp Paste Ong Choy (xia jong ong choy). This is a very simple dish, but might not be for everyone -- The shrimp paste flavor can be overwhelming to some. It’s Ong Choy (a kind of Chinese vegetable), sauteed in shrimp paste and garlic. They serve it at most sit-down Chinese restaurants, even if you don’t see it on the menu. Just be sure to drink a bunch of tea and eat some mints after, because your breathe will be kickin’.
Question 4: How did you get the idea to start Nom_Life?
Our lives have always centered around food. Jeromy's family owned a restaurant and Ewa's father has worked in the food industry for over 25 years. We even met while working at Ho Wah Chinese restaurant in Cleveland (shout out!) Growing up, both of us knew how much blood, sweat and tears go into the restaurant business. But it’s all worth it because food is something that brings people together. Whether it's a first date, a family gathering or a group of old friends getting together -- the meal may be temporary, but the moment can become a favorite memory.
We originally started the Nom Life IG for fun. There wasn’t really a greater goal, other than to showcase the food that we love and to highlight places that we frequented. As our follower base grew, we started using the platform to encourage people to try new places or dishes that may be outside of their comfort zone. Hopefully, they create a great memory by visiting the spots that we feature!
What has been your favorite part of the Nom_Life journey?
Our favorite part of the Nom Life journey has definitely been the people. We’ve been lucky to meet so many talented chefs, bartenders and people in the food industry. These people help to shape the culinary scene in Columbus and in the other cities we visit. We can feel the passion and dedication these people put in their work, and we appreciate their drive.In addition, our followers have been our biggest inspiration. It’s really rewarding to have such an active following who we can engage with and share (or receive) restaurant and food recommendations. We love and appreciate everyone who follows us. It is incredibly exciting when someone posts a picture or tags us in a photo of a restaurant they tried because they saw it on our page.
Why do you enjoy exploring Ohio?
The best part of exploring Ohio are the surprises. When people picture Ohio, they imagine flat farmland as far as the eye can see. While it’s true that this covers most of the state, the hidden gems are what make the exploration worth it. Taking a trip to the newly renovated Edgewater Park in Cleveland (which you previously saw a fish die in the water at), you’re surprised by how beautiful of a little beach it is now. Or, walking through any of the state's’ Metro Parks, you’ll be surprised at how expansive the sprawling forests are. How about visiting The Wilds in Zanesville and being surprised that the largest wildlife conservation center in North America is right in our backyard? Seriously, you get to drive right up to the rhinos!
Follow @Nom_Life on Instagram to Explore Ohio's delicious noms with E&J!
If you are looking for a beautiful place to enjoy a delicious meal, look no further than the newly renovated Smith & Wollensky in Columbus, Ohio! We recently enjoyed a lovely evening on the patio. The food, drinks, and service were all amazing!
Smith & Wollensky Columbus is located at 4145 The Strand W, in the heart of the upscale and bustling retail district, Easton Town Center, which hosts a wealth of luxury shopping and dining destinations outside of Columbus. The 10,000-square foot, 335-seat steakhouse has been a long-standing and popular steakhouse destination since its opening in 2002, serving the brand’s signature USDA Prime dry-aged steaks, premium seafood and award-winning wines to over 60,000 business guests, locals and travelers per year.
Available now through June, Smith & Wollensky will feature specialty wine flights, priced at $25 each.
Visit their website to learn more: https://www.smithandwollensky.com/our-restaurants/columbus/